Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
> On 3/3/15 11:48 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> It'll be confusing to have different interfaces in one/multiple error cases.

> If we simply don't want the code complexity then fine, but I just don't
> buy this argument. How could it possibly be confusing?

What I'm concerned about is confusing the code.  There is a lot of stuff
that looks at pidfiles and a lot of it is not very bright (note upthread
argument about "cat" vs "head -1").  I don't want possibly localized
(non-ASCII) text in there, especially when there's not going to be any
sane way to know which encoding it's in.  And I definitely don't want
multiline error messages in there.

It's possible we could dumb things down enough to meet these restrictions,
but I'd really rather not go there at all.

Сообщение: Re: Proposal: knowing detail of config files via SQL
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: knowing detail of config files via SQL