Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2013-12-05 10:34:16 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In any case, the number of bugs I can remember that such a thing
>> would've prevented is negligible.

> Cases talked about upthread, where a plain datatype is returned as a
> Datum instead of using FooGetDatum() and the reverse, would be
> impossible. I don't think those are that infrequent?

[ shrug... ]  The performance changes we're talking about here would have
the effect of making the compiler's implicit casts be the right thing
anyway.  In any case, I don't think you'd have accomplished much by
forcing people to use FooGetDatum, unless you can force them to use the
*right* FooGetDatum.  The errors I can remember seeing in this area were
more in the line of choosing the wrong macro.