Re: [HACKERS] Bug with pg_basebackup and 'shared' tablespace

От Pierre Ducroquet
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Bug with pg_basebackup and 'shared' tablespace
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:52:37 PM CEST you wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Pierre Ducroquet <p.psql@pinaraf.info>
wrote:
> > All my apologies for the schockingly long time with no answer on this
> > topic.
> No problem. That's the concept called life I suppose.
>
> > I will do my best to help review some patches in the current CF.
>
> Thanks for the potential help!
>
> > Attached to this email is the new version of the patch, checked against
> > HEAD and REL_10_STABLE, with the small change required by Michael (affect
> > true/ false to the boolean instead of 1/0) applied.
>
> Thanks for the new version.
>
> So I have been pondering about this patch, and allowing multiple
> versions of Postgres to run in the same tablespace is mainly here for
> upgrade purposes, so I don't think that we should encourage such
> practices for performance reasons. There is as well
> --tablespace-mapping which is here to cover a similar need and we know
> that this solution works, at least people have spent time to make sure
> it does.
>
> Another problem that I have with this patch is that on HEAD,
> permission checks are done before receiving any data. I think that
> this is really saner to do any checks like that first, so as you can
> know if the tablespace is available for write access before writing
> any data to it. With this patch, you may finish by writing a bunch of
> data to a tablespace path, but then fail on another tablespace because
> of permission issues so the backup becomes useless after transferring
> and writing potentially hundreds of gigabytes. This is no fun to
> detect that potentially too late, and can impact the responsiveness of
> instances to get backups and restore from them.
>
> All in all, this patch gets a -1 from me in its current shape. If
> Horiguchi-san or yourself want to process further with this patch, of
> course feel free to do so, but I don't feel that we are actually
> trying to solve a new problem here. I am switching the patch to
> "waiting on author".

Hi

The point of this patch has never been to 'promote' sharing tablespaces
between PostgreSQL versions. This is not a documented feature, and it would be
imho a bad idea to promote it because of bugs like this one.
But that bug is a problem for people who are migrating between postgresql
releases one database at a time on the same server (maybe not a best practice,
but a real use case nevertheless). That's how I met this bug, and that's why I
wanted to patch it. I know there is a workaround, but to me it seems counter-
intuitive that with no warning I can create a postgresql cluster that can not
be restored without additional pg_basebackup settings.
If it is indeed forbidden to share a tablespace between postgresql releases,
why don't we enforce it ? Or at least show a warning when CREATE TABLESPACE
encounter a non-empty folder ?

Regarding the permission check, I don't really see how this is a real problem
with the patch. I have to check on master, but it seems to me that the
permission check can still be done before starting writing data on disc. We
could just delay the 'empty' folder check, and keep checking the folder
permissions.

And I will do the pgindent run, thanks for the nitpick :)

Pierre