Re: WIP pgindent replacement

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: WIP pgindent replacement
Дата
Re: WIP pgindent replacement
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Aug  3, 2012 at 08:26:50AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> I think we generally don't put file type extensions on commands, so
>> this should probably just be renamed pgindent. If someone wants to

> Of course.  I was just noticing that most of the Perl scripts in
> /src/tools and src/tools/msvc have a .pl extension on the file name, so
> I was following that style.  Is that valid?

Well, you're replacing the old script, so it has to keep the same name.

IMO adding such an extension to an executable script isn't a terribly
good practice, because it turns what ought to be an implementation
detail into part of the script's API.  Had the shell script been named
pgindent.sh to begin with, we'd now be stuck with the unpalatable
alternatives of changing the name or using an extension that lies
about the implementation language.  I don't much care for putting
in an assumption that the Perl implementation will never be replaced,
either.