Re: Re: could not create lock file postmaster.pid: No such file or directory, but file does exist

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: could not create lock file postmaster.pid: No such file or directory, but file does exist
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Rob Goethals / SNP <Rob.Goethals@snp.nl> writes:
> When it is trying to startup again this is the logfile output:
> 2014-02-15 00:50:05 CET  PANIC:  could not create file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.5390": Input/output error

The above PANIC is the reason for the abort that happens immediately
thereafter.

On local storage I'd think this meant disk hardware problems, but since
you say you've got the database on an NTFS volume, what it more likely
means is that there's a bug in the kernel's NTFS support.  Anyway, it's
fruitless to try to get Postgres going again until you have a stable
filesystem underneath it.

Generally speaking, longtime Postgres users are very suspicious of running
Postgres atop any kind of networked filesystem.  We find that network
filesystems are invariably less stable than local ones.  NTFS seems likely
to be a particularly unfortunate choice from this standpoint, as you get
to benefit from Windows' bugs along with Linux's.