Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)
Дата
Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I think we need someway of telling postgres to suppress a foreign key check.

Well, the subtext argument here is "do we fix it by providing a way to
suppress the check, or do we fix it by making the check fast enough to
be tolerable?"

I think the advantages of choice (b) are obvious --- it doesn't allow
bogus data to be loaded accidentally, and it doesn't create a problem
with loading existing 7.3 dump files that don't know how to suppress the
check.

If we find there is no way to do (b) acceptably well, then and only then
would I want to consider (a).