Re: Drop --disable-floatN-byval configure options?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Drop --disable-floatN-byval configure options?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I have a modest
>> substitute proposal: let's just drop the --disable-float4-byval and
>> --disable-float8-byval configure options as of v11.  Those don't have any
>> impact on on-disk storage.

> USE_FLOAT4_BYVAL seems completely pointless to me, but don't we need
> USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL on machines where Datum is only 4 bytes wide?

Yes.  The point is to have one configuration for 32-bit machines and one
for 64-bit, not three possible configurations on 32-bit and four on
64-bit.

I don't actually envision changing the C code much at all; we might want
to resurrect the old code at some point.  I just want to reduce the number
of supported configurations.

> Being able to test such things without digging up a 32-bit machine is
> useful.

Agreed.  It'd still be possible to manually force this, it just wouldn't
be a documented/supported configuration.