Handling of quantity in recursive query example

От PG Doc comments form
Тема Handling of quantity in recursive query example
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/queries-with.html

I believe that the second query in section 7.8.2 (Recursive Queries) should
be modified to properly account for quantities. In the recursive term,
p.quantity should be multiplied by pr.quantity:

WITH RECURSIVE included_parts(sub_part, part, quantity) AS (
    SELECT sub_part, part, quantity FROM parts WHERE part = 'our_product'
  UNION ALL
    SELECT p.sub_part, p.part, p.quantity * pr.quantity
    FROM included_parts pr, parts p
    WHERE p.part = pr.sub_part
)
SELECT sub_part, SUM(quantity) as total_quantity
FROM included_parts
GROUP BY sub_part

As currently written, if a car has four wheels, and each wheel has five
bolts, the whole example returns five bolts for the parts of a car. With the
proposed change, it will return 20 bolts.