Re: building a binary-portable database

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: building a binary-portable database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable@gmail.com> writes:
> That's doable of course, but I wonder what would it take to get it to
> work as-is, when building pg from source on each box, giving their
> fairly similar characteristics.

It's not promised to work, and if it breaks you get to keep both pieces.

> Or, if time_t is different, would it be a show-stopper?

The pg_controldata output suggests that indeed time_t size difference is
the immediate issue.  But there might be other ones lurking behind that.

(FWIW, 8.4 has removed this particular potential platform difference:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-02/msg00184.php
But I still wouldn't trust copying DB files between significantly
different OSes.)