Re: [HACKERS] Status report: long-query-string changes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Status report: long-query-string changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Though it drove me nuts earlier, resisting the temptation to cast into
> concrete a short- or medium-range plan has been a real plus for the
> project as a whole.

The facts of the matter are that contributors work on the problems that
they find interesting, and/or the things that are getting in the way of
their own use of Postgres at the moment.  If the core team tried to tell
people what to work on, less would get contributed, and that would
benefit no one.

When 6.5 was released, I tried to stir up a little discussion about the
major things to work on for 6.6, and couldn't even get any consensus
on a plan for *one* revision.  So I think a longer-term plan would be
an exercise in wishful thinking.  Things will get done when someone
steps up to the plate and does them.

> otoh, you might consider your suggestion as a "docs project", rather
> than firm planning, and one could put some time into taking Bruce's
> ToDo list, sorting it into topics, and writing up a more verbose
> description for some of the topic areas. Just an idea...

Indeed, the TODO list is awfully bare-bones; many of the entries don't
convey much information to someone who's not already familiar with the
issue.  Something more fleshed-out would be a useful project.