Re: snowball ASCII stemmer configuration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: snowball ASCII stemmer configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Do we *have* to have an ASCII stemmer that corresponds to an actual
> language?  Couldn't we use the simple stemmer or no stemmer at all?
> In my experience, ASCII text in, say, Russian or Greek will typically be
> acronyms or brand names or the like, and there doesn't seem to be a
> great need to stem that kind of thing.  Just doing nothing seems at
> least as good.

Well, I have no horse in this race.  But the reason it's like this for
Russian is that Oleg, Teodor, and crew set it up that way ages ago.
I'd tend to defer to their opinion about what's the most usable
configuration for Russian.  You could certainly argue that the situation
is different for $other-language ... but without some hard evidence for
that position, making these cases all behave similarly seems like a
reasonable approach.