Re: Is cachedFetchXidStatus provably valid?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is cachedFetchXidStatus provably valid?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It's probably an academic concern, but what happens if a backend saves
> off cachedFetchXidStatus and then sleeps for a very long time.  During
> that time an xid wraparound happens and the backend wakes up and
> happens to read another unhinted tuple with the same xid and a
> different commit status.  This is obviously incredibly unlikely, but
> shouldn't cachedFetchXid be cleared at some appropriate point --
> perhaps end of transaction?

Well, aside from what the odds might be of hitting the case if you did
manage to sleep through an XID wraparound, I think it's impossible for a
backend to sleep that long, because of cache inval signals.  (Or, to
put it differently, a backend has typically got a whole lot of XIDs
cached within tuples in its syscaches.  cachedFetchXidStatus is the
least of its worries if it fails to engage in cache inval activity.)

If we had a multiple-entry cache in place of the single-entry cache,
I think this would be a more realistic concern.  You'd need some way to
flush old entries from that cache, rather than being able to expect
that the single entry would get overwritten with newer values anytime
something happened.