Re: TODO items for window functions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: TODO items for window functions
Дата
Re: TODO items for window functions  ("Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> You could certainly argue the classification either way, but I think
> that we should make a hard decision now: either window functions are
> treated as a distinct object type (implying their own set of command
> names and nuisance errors if you use the wrong one), or they are not a
> distinct object type (implying that WINDOW is an attribute for CREATE
> FUNCTION and not part of the command name).  If we are wishy-washy about
> it and treat WINDOW as just a noise word in some contexts then we will
> have user confusion.  The precedent that is bothering me here is all the
> user confusion that has ensued over whether you can use ALTER TABLE to
> operate on sequences and views.

Apparently that analogy didn't impress anyone but me.  AFAICT the
majority opinion is that we should use the syntax
create [or replace] [window] function ...

but just ignore the distinction between regular functions and window
functions for all other function-related SQL commands.  Barring further
discussion, I'll make that happen in the next day or two.