Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Richard Tucker <richt@multera.com> writes:
>>> Eh?  The kernel does that for you, as long as you're reading the
>>> same-size blocks that the backends are writing, no?

> We know for sure the kernel does this?  I think this is a dubious
> assumption.

Yeah, as someone pointed out later, it doesn't work if the kernel's
internal buffer size is smaller than our BLCKSZ.  So we do still need
the page images in WAL --- that protection against non-atomic writes
at the hardware level should serve for this problem too.