Re: left and overleft/notright revisited: why !>> and !<< might be poor names

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: left and overleft/notright revisited: why !>> and !<< might be poor names
Дата
Список pgsql-general
William White <bwhite@frognet.net> writes:
> Consider the empty interval (n,n) (any empty interval will do, they're
> all the same empty set),

I don't think that's the case.  [0,0) and [1,1) are certainly
distinguishable given the normal machine representation of intervals.
If you use a mathematical model that says they're not distinguishable,
that says to me that you chose the wrong model --- especially when the
model leads you into logical difficulties that need not (and do not)
exist in the actual implementation.

My feeling about it is [0,0) << [1,1) but not vice versa.