Re: [HACKERS] TODO list updated

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] TODO list updated
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> echo is a builtin in ksh and derivatives, but I don't think it's safe
>> to assume it is a builtin everywhere...

> I believe it is safe.  csh and sh have it built in.  Does anyone know of
> a shell that does not have echo builtin?  How do you tell?  Not sure.

I looked at the man pages for plain old Bourne shell on the oldest
systems I have access to (SunOS 4.1.4 and HPUX 9).  They all say that
echo is a builtin.  So I guess it's probably safe enough.  There may
be a few hoary old machines whereecho "ALTER USER ... $password ..." | backend
is a security risk, but it seems like it should be a very minimal
problem.  (Especially since even a non-builtin echo should be a live
process for only a *really* short interval, even if the backend takes
longer to process the command.)