Connection specific information - Temporary table used in Sybase to store information

От pgsql.waldvogel@mac.com
Тема Connection specific information - Temporary table used in Sybase to store information
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello everybody,

Since I am new to PostgreSQL mailing lists, I am not sure which mailing list to use for my problem, I issue it to this
group.If there is a more appropriate list, please let me know and  I will happily post there.

The situation:
While porting an existing application from Sybase ASA to PostgreSQL 7.4 I need to access connection specific login data
(userdata). In the Sybase solution I used a temporary table (CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE). Each connection than had the
tableon connect; each client could then perform the INSERT statement without creating table. PostgreSQL differs from
thebehaviour as documented.
A lot of (very) different clients rely upon this this standard behaviour.

The question:
Is there any feature/technique that
a) can create temporary tables as in the SQL Standard defined
b) something like "ON CONNECT DO BEGIN .... END"? So that the temporary table can be automatically created upon
connect?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,

Ralf