Re: ECPG regression tests need .gitignore update?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ECPG regression tests need .gitignore update?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> This seems like a build-process bug, not a .gitignore oversight.
>> Those shouldn't be there at all (and I notice "make clean" doesn't
>> get rid of them).

> I don't even know what they are.

"Outboard" debug symbols.

Some googling just turned up this interesting comment:

Interesting quirk: on MacOS 10.6.2, if you include a source file in the
'link' line, then the dsymutil program is run to generate the .dSYM
information; if you only link object files and libraries, then the
dsymutil program is not run so the .dSYM information is not
generated. You can validate this with the '-v' option to GCC which shows
the programs executed by 'gcc'.

So maybe we can get rid of it by not using the "shortcut" of skipping
creation of a .o file.  Off to try that ...