Re: Issues with factorial operator

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Issues with factorial operator
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> So at the very least the documentation is confusing:

> The type numeric can store numbers with up to 1000 digits of precision
> and perform calculations exactly.

This documentation is outright wrong.  The grain of truth behind the
statement is that the parser won't let you declare numeric(N) columns
with N > 1000.  But unconstrained numeric can be a lot larger.  The
hard limit of the format seems to be 10^128K.

I agree that a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS in numeric_fac wouldn't be a bad
idea, and we can reject arguments that are clearly going to overflow.