Re: trying to write a many-to-many type function.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: trying to write a many-to-many type function.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Eric Davies <Eric@barrodale.com> writes:
> As far as I can see, you can't write a set returning function that
> takes a set as input, as in
>        select getMetaData( select * from mytable);

> Is a function of the type I'm trying to write even possible in PostgreSQL?

I don't think it's possible at the moment :-(.  We've speculated about
ways to relax the restriction that a function in FROM can't take any
non-constant arguments.  It appears that adding SQL99's LATERAL and/or
UNNEST features might do it ... I've had a hard time finding any very
clear explanation of their semantics, though, so I'm not entirely sure.