Re: [BUGS] ./configure error: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] ./configure error: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> Дилян Палаузов wrote:
>> if the aim is one day to be able to run with -Werror, as far as the
>> problems are within PG, then this snippet needs to be fixed one day,
>> and today is a good opportunity for this particular piece.

> I don't think we have any expectations that we would ever allow
> configure to run with -Werror.

The problem with configure is that it *expects* to get failures,
and silently copes with them.  This means that whenever
$blithering_idiot_compiler_maintainer decides that some legal-per-spec
coding pattern deserves a warning, -Werror will mean that configure
decides that features are missing from your O/S, and then we silently
work around them as best we can.  This is not what you want to have
happen.

I might be more excited about making this work if compiler warnings
weren't such a moving target ... but they are.  So trying to make
configure work with -Werror would just be an unending source of pain
and/or bad performance.

Given that situation, I think it's actually a good thing that the int64
test is coded the way it is, as it stops anyone from trying to use -Werror
here.