Re: Compile warnings on OSX 10.10 clang 6.0

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Compile warnings on OSX 10.10 clang 6.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 4/3/15 4:02 PM, John Gorman wrote:
>> I am getting compile warnings on OSX 10.10 from clang 6.0:
>>
>> clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-pthread'
>>
>> The 5 warnings are where we are making a -dynamiclib and
>> the -pthread argument is not necessary:
>>
>> ./src/interfaces/libpq/
>> ./src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/
>> ./src/interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/
>> ./src/interfaces/ecpg/compatlib/
>> ./src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/
>>
>> This is interfering with using "-Wall -Werror" to catch warnings.
>>
>> Any opinions as to whether this is worth fixing and if so
>> what the cleanest approach might be?

> These warnings also happen with older versions of clang.  Now idea how
> to fix yet.  I'm thinking that clang should be fixed, because these
> warnings are stupid.

Yeah, they're utterly stupid; whoever put them in obviously doesn't
have a clue about typical Makefile construction.  I wonder if next
we'll see complaints about unnecessary -D or -I switches.

Having said that, I did look awhile ago about how we might get rid of
them, and it seems not easy; for starters we would need to drop the
assumption that CFLAGS can always be included when linking.  Also,
AFAICT -pthread sometimes *is* required when linking; so it's
not even very obvious when to suppress the switch, even if we could
do so without wholesale rearrangement of our FLAGS handling.