Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc

От Guyren Howe
Тема Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You might define new types for temperature, length, whatever, with suitable conversion, operation and creation functions. You’d be able to define how the new types participate in indexes, support directly sorting on them, so you package up this complexity and forget about it.

Either normalize everything to metric on creation, or have an enumeration or boolean flag to indicate whether the value is metric or imperial (choose this one if you want values to remember how they were created and thus how they will display, and to avoid rounding errors converting back to imperial for display).

Depends how many places you use them whether this is worth it. But it would be a good way to make this complexity idiot-proof if you’ll be using it all over. You’d be able to just add and multiply lengths and such without worrying how they were specified.

Looks like this might do what you need on cursory examination: https://github.com/df7cb/postgresql-unit