Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/25/23 16:37, gkokolatos@pm.me wrote:

> [...]

Actually, I don't understand why 0001 moves the check into the loop. I
mean, why not check HAVE_LIBZ before the loop?

>> I think it could be written to avoid the need to change for added
>> compression algorithms:
>>
>> + if (te->hadDumper && (te->reqs & REQ_DATA) != 0)
>>
>> + {
>> + /* Check if the compression algorithm is supported */
>> + pg_compress_specification spec;
>> + parse_compress_specification(AH->compression_spec.algorithm, NULL, &spec);
>>
>> + if (spec->parse_error != NULL)
>>
>> + pg_fatal(spec->parse_error);
>>
>> + }
>
> I am not certain how that would work in the example with ZSTD above.
> If I am not wrong, parse_compress_specification() will not throw an error
> if the codebase supports ZSTD, yet this specific pg_dump binary will not
> support it because ZSTD is not implemented. parse_compress_specification()
> is not aware of that and should not be aware of it, should it?

Not sure. What happens in a similar situation now? That is, when trying
to deal with an archive gzip-compressed in a build without libz?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company