Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/13/22 05:00, Pavel Stehule wrote:
But there can be a valid second question - it can be nice to use extensions with availability to define their own communication protocol. Postgres has a special protocol for replication or for backup. With this possibility you can do what you need without the necessity of an external application server.

Regards

And here we are back on the Babelfish question. Babelfish defines its own protocol (TDS = Table Data Streaming) but it requires building PostgreSQL from the source, with some hooks for the additional protocol. A built in mechanism to do that without rebuilding would be nice. Babelfish Postgres is version 13.5, currently the most prevalent version in the data centers. A library to implement foreign communication protocol primitives would be a very nice thing indeed.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant