Re: Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 07:11:12PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dept of second thoughts: actually, perhaps see if you can generate
>> the pg_description entries from the C comments in the
>> include/catalog header files.

> My thought is that by the time somebody is doing \dt+ (or equivalent
> in other tools than psql) on a pg_catalog table or view, they need to
> see details and are at most slightly concerned about the formatting.

If they need to see more than the most brief description, they should be
consulting the SGML documentation; that's what it's there for.  Using
that same text for \dt+ comments will just encourage people to mis-optimize
the SGML text for the wrong purpose.  We already have short comments in
the C code; why not use those?