Re: Solving the OID-collision problem

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Solving the OID-collision problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Mark Woodward" <pgsql@mohawksoft.com> writes:
>> 2. Performance.  Doing this would require widening Datum to 64 bits,
>> which is a system-wide performance hit on 32-bit machines.

> Do you really think it would make a measurable difference, more so than
> your proposed solution? (I'm skeptical it would be measurable at all)

I'm too lazy to run an experiment, but I believe it would.  Datum is
involved in almost every function-call API in the backend.  In
particular this means that it would affect performance-critical code
paths.  Creation of tables and such isn't performance-critical in most
applications, so a few percent overhead there doesn't bother me.  A few
percent across the board is another story.

Сообщение: Re: Solving the OID-collision problem
Сообщение: Re: Solving the OID-collision problem