Re: Data directory copies...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Data directory copies...
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Steve Tucknott <steve@retsol.co.uk> writes:
> If I have two 'servers' - both RedHat 8, both running PostgreSQL 7.4.5,
> is is valid (if the postmaster is down on both servers) to simply copy
> the PGDATA directory from one 'server' to a different (previously
> emptied) location on the second 'server'?

Yes, if the servers are compiled identically on both machines.  (If they
were compiled with different options, the second server should refuse to
start on the copied data directory, so you don't need to be too afraid
of getting burnt.  But you do need to be sure the two machines are of
the same architecture --- don't try this between, say, i386 and PPC, nor
even between 32- and 64-bit models on a 64-bit machine.)

You must copy the whole PGDATA directory tree, of course.