Re: State of Beta 2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> If you want to have continued support for an older rev, purchase a
> commercial version. I am not trying to push my product here, but frankly
> I think your argument is weak. There is zero reason for the community to
> support previous version of code. Maybe until 7.4 reaches 7.4.1 or
> something but longer? Why? The community should be focusing on
> generating new, better, faster, cleaner code.

I tend to agree on this point.  Red Hat is also in the business of
supporting back-releases of PG, and I believe PG Inc, SRA, and others
will happily do it too.  I don't think it's the development community's
job to do that.

[ This does not, however, really bear on the primary issue, which is how
can we make upgrading less unpleasant for people with large databases.
We do need to address that somehow. ]