Re: character encoding in StartupMessage

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: character encoding in StartupMessage
Дата
Re: character encoding in StartupMessage  (John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>>> This may be the only solution. Converting everything to UTF-8 has
>>> issues because some encodings are not roundtrip-safe

>> Is this still true?

> I beleive so. If use the ICU Converter Explorer [1] to examine some of
> the encodings we support, they have "Contains ambiguous aliases? TRUE".

Which ones, and are they client-only encodings?  If all our server-side
encodings are round-trip safe then I think there's no big issue.

In any case I don't think there's a huge problem if we say that database
and user names had better be chosen from the round-trip-safe subset.