Re: Bulkloading using COPY - ignore duplicates?

От Lee Kindness
Тема Re: Bulkloading using COPY - ignore duplicates?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing writes:> Lee Kindness wrote:> > The majority of database systems out there handle this situation in> >
onemanner or another (MySQL ignores or replaces; Ingres ignores;> > Oracle ignores or logs; others...). Indeed
PostgreSQLcurrently checks> > for duplicates in the COPY code but throws an elog(ERROR) rather than> > ignoring the
row,or passing the error back up the call chain.> I guess postgresql will be able to do it once savepoints get>
implemented.

This is encouraging to hear. I can see how this would make the code
changes relatively minimal and more manageable - the changes to the
current code are simply over my head!

Are savepoints relatively high up on the TODO list, once 7.2 is out the
door?
> > My use of PostgreSQL is very time critical, and sadly this issue alone> > may force an evaluation of Oracle's
performancein this respect!> Can't you clean the duplicates _outside_ postgresql, say> cat dumpfile | sort | uniq |
psqldb -c 'copy mytable from stdin'

This is certainly a possibility, however it's just really moving the
processing elsewhere. The combined time is still around the same.

I've/we've done a lot of investigation with approaches like this and
also with techniques assuming the locality of the duplicates (which is
a no-goer). None improve the situation.

I'm not going to compare the time of just using INSERTs rather than
COPY...

Thanks for your response, Lee Kindness.

-- Lee Kindness, Senior Software Engineer, Concept Systems Limited.http://services.csl.co.uk/ http://www.csl.co.uk/ +44
1315575595