Re: [BUGS] BUG #14722: Segfault in tuplesort_heap_siftup, 32 bit overflow

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14722: Segfault in tuplesort_heap_siftup, 32 bit overflow
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Right, it's a hypothetical portability issue. The assumption we're making is
>> that UINT_MAX >= INT_MAX * 2 + 1. I'm not aware of any system where it's not
>> true, but I don't know what the C standards say about that.

> Intuitively, it seems very likely to be true, since two's complement
> arithmetic is already assumed by Postgres,

... right.  There haven't been any non-twos-complement machines in the
wild for probably 50 years, and even if there were, this would be *way*
down the list of problems you'd have to fix to get Postgres to run on
one of them.  I think a comment is plenty sufficient.