Re: minor rewording in ceil(), ceiling() and floor() function descriptions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: minor rewording in ceil(), ceiling() and floor() function descriptions
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> Proposed rewording for ceil() and ceiling(): "smallest integer..."
> Proposed rewording for floor(): "greatest integer..."
> Rationale: the proposed rewording is more aligned to their respective
> mathematical definitions

Actually, that's very nearly the wording we used to have, and then
changed because people found it confusing:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160606054056.1385.38085%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=7feb60c1bb0b1e9c97561171e9194d56694620ad

As of just a few days ago in HEAD, we have the room for clarifying examples
that we lacked then, so I added some:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-math.html#FUNCTIONS-MATH-FUNC-TABLE

So maybe the confusion argument has less force than it used to.  Still,
I'm disinclined to go back.  In this particular area, I think Matlab's
precedent is at least as strong as Wikipedia's.