BUG #15236: Update on 15234 - Sorry, no eMail ever arrived...

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #15236: Update on 15234 - Sorry, no eMail ever arrived...
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      15236
Logged by:          Loren Amelang
Email address:      loren@pacific.net
PostgreSQL version: 10.4
Operating system:   Win 10 Creators

I'd like to update my bug report 15234, but I can't find any way to access
the list facility. The eMail "A copy of the report has also been sent to
your mailbox. If you need to add any further information to the report,
please reply to that mail." did not ever arrive.

I gave up and let the installer put the Data Directory in the default
location, and it worked that way. This seems to be a known issue across
several versions:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30689251/failed-to-load-sql-modules-into-the-database-cluster-during-postgresql-installat/50787548#50787548

Perhaps your installer should give the program access to Data Directories
within User space, or else refuse to install with a User directory
specified?

I believe my first problem with the VC install is a genuine bug. After VC
was installed, all my Postgre installs worked with no reported errors. (They
just wouldn't run.)

I believe the wiki about moving the data directory is obsolete.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Change_the_default_PGDATA_directory_on_Windows
It does not deal with:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-10\Data
Directory

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Services\postgresql-x64-10\Data
Directory
    C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\pg_env.bat
    C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\scripts\serverctl.vbs

There is lots of information available about how to debug issues when the
management tools work. There seems to be nothing about how to debug the
problem of "could not connect to server: Connection refused
(0x0000274D/10061)". Perhaps instead of asking us "Is the server running on
host "localhost" (::1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?", you
could display a clue about how to determine that, and what to do about it?

At least now my server works and I can get on with what I wanted to use it
for three days ago! I hope this helps someone else who is stuck where I was.