Re: Parallel Function calls using multiple processes

От Vishal Gupta
Тема Re: Parallel Function calls using multiple processes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Dear Pavel,

Thanks for quick response.

Yes I am using explicit locks but only at row-level, not at table level, will this cause sequential execution?
select ...on primary key..... for update;
My objective is to execute this function in parallel for different PK entities, for same primary key value, sequential is fine.

Also I have noted that though the function execution after the code calls is taking more than 2-3 minutes but ,
when I have put in notice statements for start/end of function it has only taken a second in pg_log.
Code is definitely not the problem here, as earlier function logic was getting executed as multiple queries
from the code and were working fine for even higher load before I moved to function for the same. This problem started after moving to function only.

I doubt that query is the reason for slowness, and it seems to be more related to database load at times, because it happens 3-4 times out of every 4000 transactions.
pg_stat doesn't show any locks at the moment, but might not reflect the actual scenario as currently the transactions are working fine.

Regards,
Vishal Gupta - 9910991635