Re: Tuning Question sort_mem vs pgsql_tmp

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Tuning Question sort_mem vs pgsql_tmp
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Does sort_mem have to be larger than the corresponding pgsql_tmp area that
> would be used if postgres runs out of sort_mem?

Probably.  At least in recent versions, the "do we still fit in
sort_mem" logic tries to account for palloc overhead and alignment
padding, neither of which are present in the on-disk representation
of the same tuples.  So data unloaded to disk should be more compact
than it was in memory.  You didn't say what you were sorting, but
if it's narrow rows (like maybe just an int or two) the overhead
could easily be more than the actual data size.