Re: utf8 COPY DELIMITER?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: utf8 COPY DELIMITER?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> The message in question should be something like:
> "COPY delimiter must be a single ASCII character"

If we phrase it like that we should enforce it like that --- ie, reject
high-bit-set characters.

But I'm a bit hesitant to do so, because it actually does work fine to
use a high-bit-set character as a delimiter as long as client and server
encodings are the same LATINx set.  We'd be taking away functionality
for European users for no very good reason.

Is it worth going to the trouble of distinguish same-encoding and
different-encoding cases and applying a looser check for the former
case?