Re: Multiple postmasters running from same directory

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Multiple postmasters running from same directory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Vikas Sharma wrote:
> We are running Postgresql 9.4 with streaming replication and repmgr. Operating system is RHEL6.8
>
> On the master I can see multiple postmaster processes from the same data directory.
>
> ps -ef |grep -i postgres|grep postm
> postgres  81440      1  0 Jan31 ?        00:11:37 /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data
> postgres  97072  81440  0 12:17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data
> postgres  97074  81440  0 12:17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data
>
> The streaming replication with one standby looks fine.
>
> I was expecting to see only one postmaster process instead of three and the time shown in
> PS output for two extra processes changes to current time with every PS command I enter.
> Secondly, I logfile is full of "Incomplete startup packet" message.
>
> I need help from you experts, Is this the right behaviour of postgres? what could have gone wrong in my case.

That looks ok.

The two other processes are children of the postmaster.
It is strange that their process title did not get updated.

What do you see for the processes with "pid" 97072 and 97074 in pg_stat_activity?

The "incomplete startup packet" is caused by processes that connect to the
PostgreSQL TCP port, but don't complete a database connection.
Often these are monitoring or load balancing programs.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe