Re: Allowing NOT IN to use ANTI joins

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Allowing NOT IN to use ANTI joins
Дата
Re: Allowing NOT IN to use ANTI joins  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> We could no doubt fix this by also insisting that the left-side vars
> be provably not null, but that's going to make the patch even slower
> and even less often applicable.  I'm feeling discouraged about whether
> this is worth doing in this form.

Hm ... actually, there might be a better answer: what about transforming
  WHERE (x,y) NOT IN (SELECT provably-not-null-values FROM ...)

  WHERE <antijoin condition> AND x IS NOT NULL AND y IS NOT NULL

?

Of course this would require x/y not being volatile, but if they are,
we're not going to get far with optimizing the query anyhow.