Re: How clear the cache on postgresql?

От Adam Tauno Williams
Тема Re: How clear the cache on postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2017-11-24 at 11:58 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/24/2017 11:43 AM, Michael Nolan wrote:
> > There are so many different levels of caching going on--within
> > Postgresql, within the OS, within a disk array or SAN, and at the
> > individual drive--that there may no longer be a meaningful way to
> > perform this measurement.
> generally, power cycling the server will flush all the hardware
> caches AND the OS cache.

Given that a real-world application will almost never experience an
empty-cache scenario I question the usefulness of clearing the
cache(s).   I would capture transactions from a production database in
order to create a load test that mimics real-world load.

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010