Re: [PERFORM] Stored Procedure Performance

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Stored Procedure Performance
Дата
Re: [PERFORM] Stored Procedure Performance  (Purav Chovatia <puravc@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Purav Chovatia wrote:
> I come from Oracle world and we are porting all our applications to postgresql.
>
> The application calls 2 stored procs,
> - first one does a few selects and then an insert
> - second one does an update
>
> The main table on which the insert and the update happens is truncated before every performance test.
>
> We are doing about 100 executions of both of these stored proc per second.
>
> In Oracle each exec takes about 1millisec whereas in postgres its taking 10millisec and that eventually leads to a
queuebuild up in our application.

> All indices are in place. The select, insert & update are all single row operations and use the PK.
>
> It does not look like any query taking longer but something else. How can I check where is the time being spent?
Thereare no IO waits, so its all on the CPU.

You could profile the PostgreSQL server while it is executing the
workload,
see for example https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Profiling_with_perf

That way you could see where the time is spent.

PL/pgSQL is not optimized for performance like PL/SQL.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe