Re: COMMENT ON [GROUP/USER]

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: COMMENT ON [GROUP/USER]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com> writes:
> It would be wonderful to be able to create comments
> on users and groups.  In particular, I need a place
> to store the user's name.  Yes, I could make a user
> table, but that seems overkill as all of the other
> aspects of a user are already in the metadata.

This seems like a good idea, but I'd recommend leaving it as a TODO
until after we finish the planned revisions for SQL role support.
(Peter E. has made noises about working on that, but I dunno what
his timeframe for it is.)  In particular, it's not clear that there
will still be a hard and fast separation between "users" and "groups"
after that happens, so it seems premature to wire such an assumption
into the syntax.

Another small problem that would have to be faced is that users and
groups don't have OIDs.  We could physically get away with a type-cheat
of storing their integer IDs into pg_description instead, but I'm worried
that would create issues of its own.