Re: BRIN minmax multi - incorrect distance for infinite timestamp/date

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: BRIN minmax multi - incorrect distance for infinite timestamp/date
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 10/13/23 11:21, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 23:43, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ashutosh Bapat reported me off-list a possible issue in how BRIN
>> minmax-multi calculate distance for infinite timestamp/date values.
>>
>> The current code does this:
>>
>>     if (TIMESTAMP_NOT_FINITE(dt1) || TIMESTAMP_NOT_FINITE(dt2))
>>         PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(0);
>>

> Yes indeed, that looks wrong. I noticed the same thing while reviewing
> the infinite interval patch.
>
>> so means infinite values are "very close" to any other value, and thus
>> likely to be merged into a summary range. That's exactly the opposite of
>> what we want to do, possibly resulting in inefficient indexes.
>>

> Is this only inefficient? Or can it also lead to wrong query results?

I don't think it can produce incorrect results. It only affects which
values we "merge" into an interval when building the summaries.

>> Attached is a patch fixing this
>>

> I wonder if it's actually necessary to give infinity any special
> handling at all for dates and timestamps. For those types, "infinity"
> is actually just INT_MIN/MAX, which compares correctly with any finite
> value, and will be much larger/smaller than any common value, so it
> seems like it isn't necessary to give "infinite" values any special
> treatment. That would be consistent with date_cmp() and
> timestamp_cmp().

Right, but ....

> Something else that looks wrong about that BRIN code is that the
> integer subtraction might lead to overflow -- it is subtracting two
> integer values, then casting the result to float8. It should cast each
> input before subtracting, more like brin_minmax_multi_distance_int8().

... it also needs to fix this, otherwise it overflows. Consider

     delta = dt2 - dt1;

and assume dt1 is INT64_MIN, or that dt2 is INT64_MAX.

> IOW, I think brin_minmax_multi_distance_date/timestamp could be made
> basically identical to brin_minmax_multi_distance_int4/8.

Right. Attached is a patch doing it this way.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade's interaction with pg_resetwal seems confusing
Сообщение: RE: pg_upgrade's interaction with pg_resetwal seems confusing