Re: Posrgres speed problem - solved!

От Guido Neitzer
Тема Re: Posrgres speed problem - solved!
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 13.06.2006, at 12:33 Uhr, Ruben Rubio Rey wrote:

> Seems autovacumm is working fine. Logs are reporting that is being
> useful.
>
> But server load is high. Is out there any way to stop "autovacumm"
> if server load is very high?

Look at the cost settings for vacuum and autovacuum. From the manual:

"During the execution of VACUUM and ANALYZE commands, the system
maintains an internal
counter that keeps track of the estimated cost of the various I/O
operations that are performed. When
the accumulated cost reaches a limit (specified by
vacuum_cost_limit), the process performing
the operation will sleep for a while (specified by
vacuum_cost_delay). Then it will reset the
counter and continue execution.

The intent of this feature is to allow administrators to reduce the I/
O impact of these commands on
concurrent database activity. There are many situations in which it
is not very important that mainte-
nance commands like VACUUM and ANALYZE finish quickly; however, it is
usually very important that
these commands do not significantly interfere with the ability of the
system to perform other database
operations. Cost-based vacuum delay provides a way for administrators
to achieve this."

cug