Re: ecdh support causes unnecessary roundtrips

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: ecdh support causes unnecessary roundtrips
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 17 Jun 2024, at 19:44, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> Let's bring that to Erica's patch for allowing a list of curves.
>
> I'm kinda wondering if we ought to do something about this in the
> backbranches. Forcing unnecessary roundtrips onto everyone for the next five
> years due to an oversight on our part isn't great.  Once you're not local, the
> roundtrip does measurably increase the "time to first query".

I don't disagree, but wouldn't it be the type of behavioural change which we
typically try to avoid in backbranches?  Changing the default of the ecdh GUC
would perhaps be doable?  (assuming that's a working solution to avoid the
roundtrip).  Amending the documentation is the one thing we certainly can do
but 99.9% of affected users won't know they are affected so won't look for that
section.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Сообщение: Re: ecdh support causes unnecessary roundtrips
Сообщение: Re: ecdh support causes unnecessary roundtrips