Re: [GENERAL] Incremental / Level -1 backup in PG

От rakeshkumar464
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Incremental / Level -1 backup in PG
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Incremental / Level -1 backup in PG  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
Re: [GENERAL] Incremental / Level -1 backup in PG  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-general

basebackup + WAL archive lets you do just exactly this.   you can
restore to any transaction between when that basebackup was taken, and
the latest entry in the WAL archive, its referred in the documentation
as PITR, Point in Time Recovery.

Yes John I do know about using WAL archive.  IMO that will not be as fast as
restoring
using the incremental backup. Eg:

It is common to take a full backup on weekends and incremental on
weeknights.  If we have to restore
upto Thu afternoon, which one do you think will be faster :-

1 -  Restore from basebackup.
2 -  Restore from wed night backup
3 - Apply WAL logs after wed night backup until the time we want to restore.
vs
1 - Restore from basebackup
2 - Apply WAL logs from weekend until the time we want to restore.

If first choice is lot faster in Oracle,DB2, I have reasons to believe that
the same should be true for PG also. But as someone explained, the PG
technology can not support this.

Anyhow it was an academical question.