Re: Getting Started section

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Getting Started section
Дата
Re: Getting Started section
Список pgsql-docs
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Agreed, but I should think that properly packaged versions of Postgres
>> will come with some package-specific instructions.  Is that missing
>> in Debian's version, or out of date, or did he just not read it?

> It's definitely there for debian - it's in
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz

> The bigger question is, is it worth actually more or less importing the
> contents of that into our main documentation.

I'm definitely -1 on that; there are too many distinct packagings and they
change asynchronously to our releases.  As a concrete example, the docs
for Red Hat's version needed to change when they moved from SysV init
scripts to systemd boot.  Would we want to keep *both* versions of that
in our manual, and explain exactly which RHEL/CentOS/Fedora versions the
different texts applied to?  No thanks ...