Re: More DROP COLUMN

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: More DROP COLUMN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> or to make it even more self documenting store the drop time,
> " col001 dropped@020715.101427"

I'm not at all excited about trying to store times, random numbers,
etc in dropped column names.  We are not trying to do cryptography
here, only invent an improbable name.  I do not believe that injecting
pseudo-randomness will help.  I'd prefer to keep the names of dropped
columns predictable.

> I guess that \0 would be unusable (not sure if its illegal)

You can NOT use \0, and I don't think other nonprinting characters would
be a good idea either.  I think a bunch of leading spaces or underscores
would be fine.