Re: [GENERAL] Postgres, apps, special characters and UTF-8 encoding

От rob stone
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres, apps, special characters and UTF-8 encoding
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Ken,

On Tue, 2017-03-07 at 15:20 -0800, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> Hi.  I've got a recurring problem with character encoding for a
> Postgres-based web PHP app, and am hoping someone can clue me in or
> at least point me in the right direction.  I'll confess upfront my
> understanding of encoding issues is extremely limited.  Here goes.
>
> The app uses a Postgres database, UTF-8 encoded.  Through their
> browsers, users can add and edit records often including text.  Most
> of the time this works fine.  Though sometimes this will fail with
> Postgres complaining, for example, "Could query with ... , The error
> text was: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe9 0x20
> 0x67"
>
> So this generally happens when people copy and paste things out of
> their word documents and such.
>
> As I understand it, those are likely encoded in something non-UTF-8,
> like WIN-1251 or something.  And that one way or another, the
> encoding needs to be translated before it can be placed into the
> database.  I'm not clear how this is supposed to happen though.
> Automatically by the browser?  Done in the app?  Some other way?  And
> if in the app, how is one supposed to know what the incoming encoding
> is?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
>
> Ken

1) Make sure the text editor you use to create your pages, etc. uses
UTF-8 as its encoding. That way the file's BOM is set correctly.
2) Make sure your headers contain the following:-

or

still recognised by HTML5.

I understand that some versions of IE have issues with correctly
determining the character set, so, unfortunately, you still have to
verify that user input is UTF-8 compatible.

HTH,
Rob