Re: postgres processes spending most of their time in the kernel

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: postgres processes spending most of their time in the kernel
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org> writes:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmm, those look perfectly normal, except one would like to think it's
>> the exception not the rule to be blocking on LWLocks.

> Well, let's don't get too far off track.  The problem, I think, is using
> SysV semaphores instead of CPU-specific test-and-set locking.

No, I've abandoned that theory.  You've shown us half a dozen backtraces
now, and they all are coming from LWLock acquire/release, not spinlock
acquire/release.  If you were using SysV semaphores for spinlocks then
I'd expect to see a lot of traces leading back to spin.c.

> I think it's pretty basic.  It used to run right quickly before I moved to
> 7.2beta4.  My application machine saw loads of 25+, now it only sees loads
> of about 3.  Postgres is throttling it.

Hmm.  And what was your actual *throughput*?  The backtraces you've
shown us all correspond to places where 7.1 would have busy-waited
rather than blocking on a semaphore.  Reduction of nominal CPU load
is exactly what I'd expect, and is not in itself bad.  The real question
is how many transactions can you process per second.

Сообщение: Re: postgres processes spending most of their time in the kernel
Сообщение: Re: postgres processes spending most of their time in the